Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Affordable Highlighters from the Drugstore

Highlighting has been having a moment for quite sometime now, and I too have caught the highlight fever. Not gonna lie, adding a glorious intentional glow (oily skin probs) to my cheeks has become one of my favorite steps in my makeup routine. The problem is that I don't hear about drugstore highlighters all too often, which is a shame because there are some GREAT ones out there at really affordable prices in the drugstore. Granted there isn't the same variety as higher end ones, but they are starting to step up their game. Here is a peak at my current collection of drugstore highlights!


I'll start off with my very first highlight I bought when I was just beginning to explore the make up realm (hence why I've hit pan on it), the Physicians Formula Mineral Glow Pearls in Translucent Pearls, a pink toned powder with a subtle sheen. If you are nervous about highlighting and want to ease your way into it, this is a great start. It's hard to over do it and can even be dusted all over the face for an all over glow and you won't look crazy. It's actually a little pricey for the drugstore, but if you catch a sale and use coupons it's definitely worth it.


I feel like I'm beating a dead horse every time I mention Wet n' Wild ColorIcon Bronzer in Reserve Your Cabana. It's just so good! Obviously, it's not a bronzer but a wonderful beige highlight that gives that coveted 'glow from within' look. It is said to be a dupe for the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders, but at only $4 it's waaaaay more affordable and comes in a huge pan. It's a MUST in my opinion.


Hard Candy also has a highlight that gets a lot of attention, and for good reason. The Hard Candy Baked Bronzer in Tiki is so amazing, it's hard to believe it's from Walmart. Again, marketed as a bronzer but is definitely a highlight shade that is a glowy golden beige. I reach for this all the time and it is so soft for a baked product!


I have two from e.l.f, the Baked Blush in Pinktastic and Baked Highlight in Blushed Gems. Pinktastic is a champagne powder with pink veining and Blushed Gems, almost like a darker, bronzier, champagne shade. Both are only $3 and they pack a PUNCH in pigmentation! Blushing Gems is actually a dupe for the infamous MAC Mineralized Skin Finish in Soft & Gentle (which I also own) but honestly, I reach for the e.l.f version more. It seems less chunky to me and blends easier.


The last one I have to share is my NYX Illumiator in Ritualistic, a white highlight that is almost a duochrome with gold sheen to it. It's for those days when you want your cheeks to be seen gleaming from outer space. I don't use it as often as the others because I can go overboard with it real quick, so I mostly use it for night time looks. But I still love it and I think it's also a dupe for NARS Albatross.

Left to right: e.l.f Pinktastic, e.l.f Blushing Gems, NYX Ritualistic, Hard Candy Tiki, WnW Reserve Your Cabana, Physicians Formula Translucent Pearls

I want to also mention that Colour Pop has some super affordable highlighters as well, but those have to be ordered online. Totally worth it though! I've heard great things about the Makeup Revolution ones, and I want to get my hands on them soon!

What are your faves from the drugstore?

xoxo

Jessica

10 comments:

  1. Great review! Elf products look so good I'd love to try some <3

    Check out my Sephora giveaway!
    http://abigailalicex.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are really nice, and only $3. I'll check it out for sure!

      Delete
  2. These all sound really good! I personally love the Makeup Revolution and MUA highlighters. Both are under a fiver and are sooo good!xx

    Laura | Lala London: Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep hearing! They are pretty new here in the U.S, so I'm stoked to finally try them!

      Delete
  3. Great images. MUA do a great highlighter!
    charlotte // charlottespicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I hear! I'm definitely going to pick one up soon. Recommend a shade?

      Delete
  4. Never tried any of these. All my highlighters are from high street because I can't actually find one in the drugstore! Thanks for sharing these!


     Miriam ♥ A whole lot of serendipity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! Have any recommendations for higher end highlighters?

      Delete
  5. Hi Jessica! I just started following your page and as a makeup obsessed blogger, I love that you gave some great options for affordable drugstore highlighters. Another good one to add to your list is Fergie Wet n' Wild Shimmer Palette in Rose Champagne Glow. Also, I may have to give the NYX illuminator a try, it looks so pretty in the swatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooooohh yes! I've heard of that one! I'll have to try it out! Thanks for following. :)

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik