Thursday, June 25, 2015

High End Haul: Kat Von D Shade + Light Eye Contour Palette and MAC

Hey guys! These few items I've recently picked up have been on my wishlist for what feels like an eternity.I finally got the guts (and the funds) to bite the bullet and purchase them. Do they live up to my hopes and expectations? Let's find out!


Side note: this book Cindy Crawford's Basic Face is a make up book I got as a gift in 7th grade when I first started wearing make up. Though the information inside is timeless, I don't think anyone foresaw 'basic' having any other meaning in the future. So now every time I pass this book on my shelf I chuckle a little... #basic.

I have been on the hunt for a versatile, yet neutral all matte eye shadow palette for a LONG time. The Kat Von D Shade + Light Eye Contour Palette answered my prayers! For $46 you get 12 all matte neutral shadows that are of great quality and blend seamlessly.



Some shades are a little more powdery than others but I don't even care! They are separated into 3 "quads." The left four are neutral brown toned shadows, middle four are cool toned shadows and the last quad is warm toned browns. The warm quad is my JAM! Love reddish browns. It does not come with the brush she made to go with it though; you have to buy it separately which is a bummer. But it's not like I don't already have an over abundance of eye shadow brushes so I'm fine without it.


Is it worth the hype? Yes! Especially if you don't already own a matte palette and you prefer neutrals. Hell, I would still buy it even if I had a billion similar palettes. It's versatile and can produce a variety of looks on it's own or paired with other shimmery shades (holla at Colour Pop!).

Next I picked up the infamous MAC Mineralized Skin Finish in Soft & Gentle ($32)and MAC Lipstick in Faux ($16). Hard to believe, but these are my first MAC purchases. *Gasp*! And I call myself a make up junkie. I just haven't gotten around to it honestly and I finally caved.


Let me just say that Faux is where it's at. It's a satin finish and is that mauve brown everyone goes nuts for. Love it! Perfect nude shade for me.

Soft & Gentle is a baked highlight that is like a golden peach champagne shade that can be overpowering if not used carefully. It's a beautiful shade and will last me forever, but is it worth the hype? I don't think so. I feel like I'm about to be chased down by a hoard of MAC fans any minute for saying that.



But hear me out!

It's because I have a dupe that is literally $3, basically almost the tax amount on what you pay for Soft & Gentle. It's the e.l.f. Baked Highlighter in Blush Gems, and it is almost exactly the same. It's a tad on the warmer side towards bronze and not as finely milled but on the face it's identical to Soft & Gentle.


I say save your money and buy the e.l.f. version instead! It's basically the same but laughably cheaper. But hey, if you're a hard core MAC gal Soft & Gentle is still a beautiful highlight.

Have any suggestions for future MAC necessities? Have a product that you don't think is worth the hype? Comment!

xoxo

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik