Saturday, February 6, 2016

Interview Makeup That'll Get You the Job

You've applied to your dream job, and now they want an interview, congrats! You've got a polished resume in hand and spent all night putting together your power outfit for the next day, but what about your makeup? Believe it or not, you are not only judged on what you're wearing but your makeup as well. Here are some beauty tips and tricks to make a great first impression and land the job!


1. Less is more (unfortunately). 

No matter what the job you're trying to get is (unless you are applying in the beauty industry), minimal makeup is the way to go. 50 lbs of visible makeup is not appealing, and doesn't appear professional. Opt for a more natural look so it doesn't distract the interviewer from your skills and personality! Now is not the time for heavy foundation, a highlight that can be seen from space or a super sharp contour.

2. Go back to base(ics).

If you have decent skin, a BB cream is ideal or a foundation that has a natural finish like the Maybelline Pure BB and L'oreal TruMatch foundation. You want to even out your skin tone, but you want it to look skin like and natural. So stay away from crazy mattes and over the top dewy foundations that look like you literally ran to the interview. And obviously, conceal those eye bags for a more awake look. A little bronzer or soft contour is nice for adding warmth and structure to your face (and boosts my confidence personally), but use a lighter hand. Blush also adds life to the skin, but you don't want to look like you're interviewing for clown school. The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder is matte and is one of my more natural looking bronzers, One of my favorite blushes is this NYX Powder Blush in Apricot, it's a light peachy pink with a satin finish that looks gorgeous and adds a tiny bit of sheen. I would skip the highlight all together (sad, I know).


3. All eyes are on you.

Honestly, eye shadow isn't even necessary, just throw on a great mascara, like the tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara. and you're good to go. But I love me some eye shadow to open up my slightly hooded eyes, so neutral shadows are going to be your best friend. The Urban Decay Naked Palette has great neutral shades but just stay away from the glittery, smoky ones and use shades like Naked and Buck in the crease, and Virgin and Sin to make your lids pop. A more affordable drugstore palette that also has some beautiful options is the L'Oreal La Palette Nude 1. Brows define the face, so they are definitely a must but rocking bold brows probably isn't the best idea. For me, tinted brow gel, like the NYX Tinted Brow Gel,  does the trick to slightly tint my brows and give me a little more definition. If your brows are too sparse for that, fill them in however you prefer.


4. It's all in the details.

Lipstick adds the finishing touch to your look and pulls everything together, but make sure to stick with shades on the nude side (think my lips but better). My go to is the ModelCo Party Proof Matte Lipstick in Kitty because it almost matches my lip color perfectly and isn't super matte, and I would say it's more of a satin finish. Make sure your nails are cut with a fresh coat of nude polish, like my favorite Sally Hansen Gray-T Escape, the perfect nude tone with a slight mauve undertone. Polish helps you look, well, more polished and put together, Chipped nails are a no go and save your favorite blue polish for after you get the job.



Oh, and skip the perfume. Sometimes perfume can be too overpowering and you never know if the person interviewing you is sensitive to scents, or just straight up hates the smell of your expensive, floral perfume. 

5. Kick ass and take names.

You've got this! Landing the interview is half the battle, and now that you know you look the part, you can focus on selling yourself as the perfect candidate for the position. Good luck!

I've been job hunting myself, and let me tell you it's like having a second job because it's so time consuming (hence the lack of posts recently). I'm entering my quarter life crisis and trying to figure out what the hell I want to do with my life (namely career). Trying to find a career that you love and pays well is like looking for a unicorn while getting chased by a lion. The unicorn is my dream job while the lion is my bills. The job market is so competitive now, and having a degree doesn't mean what it used to. Oh, you want a degree, 5 years experience, an Olympic gold medal and a recent selfie with the president? Let me get right on that.


The struggle is real. But I press on! So if you are wondering why I'm only posting once, maybe twice a week, for a while that's what I'm up to. Everyday I'm hustlin'. For a decent job.



Hope this helps!

xoxo

Jessica


4 comments:

  1. These are great tips! Thank you for sharing!


    xx, A Little Dose of Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great ideas, thank you!! I sometimes wish less wasnt more during interviews haha but heey what can ya do!

    elainea
    toast the girl almighty

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik