Thursday, January 7, 2016

Lime Crime Venus: The Grunge Palette

There has been quite the controversy around Lime Crime in the beauty community, and I believe it stems from the data breach a while ago leading to many avoiding the brand. A few weeks ago Lime Crime was discounted on Hautelook, and I just couldn't help myself because I've been really interested in the Venus Palette but a little nervous ordering from their website. Yay for Hautelook!

Let's take a look!


The palette contains 8 shadows in varying shades of reds and a few somewhat neutral shades, which is intended to recreate the 90's grunge looks but with a fresh, modern spin. This palette is definitely not for those who do not do well with warm shades (I'm talking straight reds) and who are looking for a neutral palette because it's certainly bold! 

Personally I love warm shades, but I knew this was not a palette I would be reaching for everyday because reds can be hard to pull off for fear of looking like I've contracted pink eye. BUT, I did want more options for unique neutrals with pops of color for more dramatic looks.

...and I just loved the packaging. I LOVE mythology, so it was a must have for me on that alone. I took a Greek Mythology class in college and adored it, hence me still hanging onto the text book. :)



Venus: a satin marsala 
Shell: pearlescent pink shimmer
Aura: pearlescent white gold shimmer
Creation: warm, rusty brown matte
Icon: dark brown matte
Rebirth: peachy pink matte
Divine: taupey grey matte
Muse: burgundy red matte

Seriously though, the formula is so amazing. It's so pigmented, buttery smooth and blends really nicely. The great thing about this palette is that you can create a more natural look for the everyday with over half these shades! I've used Divine and Creation in the crease, Icon to darken up the outer v, and Aura or Shell all over the lid for a softer, daytime appropriate look and I loved the way it turned out! I've yet to experiment with the red shades, but I'm looking forward to trying them out!


This palette typically runs for about $32 dollars (I think they dropped the price since the whole scandal thing and it used to be abut $42; steep for 8 shadows) but I got it for under $20! Obviously, this is not for everyone, but if you like color or just looking for a different palette to add to your collection I say this is a winner. The shadow quality is great and is not another run of the mill nude palette. If you are weary of ordering off of Lime Crime, check Hautelook periodically or Amazon to see if it's being sold. If you are boycotting the brand; you do you, it's your choice!



What are your thoughts on this palette or Lime Crime in general?

xoxo

Jessica

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely palette ! I am loving the packaging :)
    I am No9 on GFC please follow back. xx

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it just me that thinks Muse looks like a deep purple in the palette?
    Charlotte // charlottespicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the palette it does look a little darker, but I don't think the pictures are capturing the color right! It's definitely a deep burgundy, maybe with some purple undertones.

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik